CompTIA Security+ is an international, vendor-neutral certification that validates the baseline skills necessary to perform core security functions and pursue an IT security career.
Why is Security+ different?
- No other certification that assesses baseline cybersecurity skills has performance-based
questions on the exam. Security+ emphasizes hands-on practical skills, ensuring the security
professional is better prepared to problem solve a wider variety of issues.
- More choose Security+ for DoD 8570 compliance than any other certification.
- Focuses on the latest trends and techniques in risk management, risk mitigation, threat
management and intrusion detection.
- The new Security+ certification covers the Junior IT Auditor/Penetration Tester job role,
in addition to the previous job roles for Systems Administrator, Network Administrator,
and Security Administrator.
- Security+ is the first security certification IT professionals should earn. It establishes
the core knowledge required of any cybersecurity role and provides a springboard to
intermediate-level cybersecurity jobs.
- Security+ incorporates best practices in hands-on trouble-shooting to ensure security
professionals have practical security problem-solving skills. Cybersecurity professionals
with Security+ know how to address security incidents – not just identify them.
- Recent updates ensure the exam keeps pace with the evolving security landscape.
Security+ is developed by leading IT experts and industry-wide survey feedback.
- Security+ is compliant with ISO 17024 standards and approved by the US DoD to meet
directive 8140/8570.01-M requirements.
Threats, Attacks and Vulnerabilities
Technologies and Tools
Architecture and Design
Identity and Access Management
Version SY0-501 is designed to better reﬂect today’s best practices for risk management and risk
mitigation. The updated exam covers a greater emphasis on a security professional’s practical and
hands-on ability to both identify and address security threats, attacks and vulnerabilities.
The new version has also been updated to reﬂect how cybersecurity jobs are becoming more specialized. As new skills (like security analytics) become more prevalent, skills covered in Security+ have become a baseline for all cybersecurity jobs. Because of this, the importance of and demand for Security+ has increased for a broader variety of job roles.